So week five didn’t go as well as week four, but I’m still not too disappointed. I knew going into the week that a lot of those games were going to be tough to call, and I picked some based on how poorly some teams were playing to date, and not how well they should have been playing. After starting off at a lowly 3-5 through the one o’clock games I was very confident with the rest of my picks. I got the rest of Sunday’s games correct, and finished with a Monday night victory.
Games I got wrong:
Tennessee at Pittsburgh
I thought Chris Johnson and Hasselbeck were both going to have big games and really turn this defense inside out with a slew of wild plays. I was wrong. Big Ben went into the game with a lot of turnovers, and I thought that was going to continue. Again, I was wrong. Big Ben came out and although he threw one touchdown, he also showed why he’s a multiple time Super Bowl Champion throwing for five touchdowns. Maybe Big Ben’s back. I’ll be keeping my eyes on him and holding off on the doubt for a few games.
Seattle at New York Giants
I thought this was the most sure thing of the week. I thought the Giants were going to destroy Seattle. And when Jackson left the game, I would have promised you the game was over. When Eli was driving down the field, I wasn’t worried one bit. I guess I should have been. I don’t know what to even say for this game, the Giants just didn’t show up. The holes in their team were exposed, and they were taken advantage of. The Seahawks went in to Giants territory, took their ball, brought it back home to Seattle, and locked the door.
Arizona at Minnesota
It was only a matter of time until Adrian Peterson reminded everyone who he is; why not at home versus the Cardinals? AP had three touchdowns in the first quarter and with each one I was kicking myself. This was one of those games where I was thinking “oh, the Vikings haven’t been doing anything so far, they don’t stand a chance,” when I should have been thinking “The Vikings are going to explode.” I was brought back to reality, and reminded that Minnesota can be good when Adrian gets the ball.
Kansas City at Indianapolis
I thought Indy was going to turn it around this week, and I thought that their defense was going to be strong enough to hold off any attack that the Chiefs brought on. I was close, the game was close, and honestly I’m not even mad that I got this game wrong. The Colts were up by three scores at one point, and I thought that the game was out of reach. And then Dwayne Bowe came knocking. Kansas City came roaring back, and snatched victory away in a very entertaining win. Hats off to you Mr. Bowe.
Oakland at Houston
Andre Johnson was out and Al Davis had just past away. I don’t know what I was thinking. Yes it was a close game, and yes Schaub had a chance to win the game in the final seconds. But Al Davis reached down from the heavens and made sure that didn’t happen. Davis was always about winning, for years it was what he preached. And I should have known that emotion was going to be a strong factor for the game. I thought Arian Foster and the Texans offense was going to be too much, I thought they would stampede over the Raiders, and for a while I remained confident, I was confident until Schaub’s last throw. And then I realized how foolish I was. The Raiders weren’t going to let Houston get a game winner, not that day. Was I wrong? Yes. Do I wish I was right? Of course. Am I upset? Not at all. I’m happy for the Raiders, I’m happy Al Davis’ legacy lived that day, and will continue to live on.
Things to look forward to:
The Eagles want to win, and the Redskins have had two weeks to prepare to Vick and the troops. This is probably going to be one of the better games of the week. I think this is an early “must win” for the Eagles, but I don’t expect it to be easy for anybody.
San Francisco and Detroit are two of my favorite teams to watch so far this year. San Fran has surprised everyone with a pretty balanced attack across the board, and a stellar defense. Put that up against Stafford and Megatron – Suh and Fairley, and I think we have a nail biter on our hands.
Week 5 record: 8-5 – 61.5%
Overall Record: 22-7 – 75.8%
My favorite play of the week:
I know I picked Tennessee to win, and of course I wanted them to, but I need to give credit where credit is due. When someone goes for a trick play it’s always fun to watch. When a team goes for a trick play and it’s successful it’s even better. When a team goes for a trick play, and it’s the last thing you expect because of how much time is left on the clock, think Super Bowl Saints, it’s absolutely phenomenal.
I respect what the Steelers did, I loved it, and it was my favorite play of the week. I thought the Bowe catch was awesome, the Seattle pick-six was a game winner, but I found this to be the most intriguing play of the week, and I can’t get over how fun to watch plays like this are.
No comments:
Post a Comment